Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter 20 April 2017 Through 10" Dob

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Apr 22, 2017.

Jupiter 20 April 2017 Through 10" Dob

Started by Ed D on Apr 22, 2017 at 6:15 AM

3 Replies 1350 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I took this image using my manual 10" Dob. Because of the large primary and bright image I was able to use super fast frame speeds, adjusting the image brightness using the GAIN on the capture program, SharpCap 2.9. First I had to figure out how the planet was drifting through the computer screen so I could manually tap the Dob and realign it, waiting for the image to reappear. Not as hard as it may seem. Once I had the image focused and my capture parameters set (easy enough) I tapped the Dob. When the planet image fully entered the screen I did a manual capture start, and stopped it just before it reached the other side of the screen. I was able to capture just under 900 frames with each pass. I ended up using an .avi of just one single pass to get the image.

I tried RegiStax 6 to stack, but it couldn't do this job. AutoStakkert!2 worked like a charm for stacking, and RegiStax 6 for the wavelets to bring the detail out.

I did captures without the Barlow, but the planet image was very small scale. I also tried using 3x, but the planet zipped right through the computer screen. However, I think with a little practice I can get larger image scale captures, all in one .avi video using the PAUSE function in SharpCap to record several passes and get enough frames. I already did this while imaging the moon using one of my small scopes on the Twilight I Alt-Az mount. I searched the web and there are people getting stupendous planetary images using large Dobs.

Within it's limitations, this opens up a whole new world of possibilities of what I can do, especially brighter deep sky in the big city.

Ed D

Jupiter 2017 04-20.jpg
    Cropped image

Subject: Jupiter
    Date: 04/20/2017
    Time: 23:00hr EDT (04/21 03:00 UT)
    Conditions: 6/10 Pickering, bad transparency
    Instrument: 254mm f/4.7 Dob with 2x Barlow
    Focal Length: f/9.4
    Camera: ZWO ASI120MC
    Image Size: 1280x960
    Frames: ~880
    Software: SharpCap 2.9, AutoStakkert!2, RegiStax 6

Notes:
    - Capture started when entire planet entered view.
    - Capture stopped before starting to go out of view.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Orion25 likes this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Here is the image really cropped and then increased in size. I didn't realize I had that much detail until I looked at this one. However, I do like sharp and contrasty images, even if they are smaller.

Ed D

Jupiter 2017 04-20 upsized.jpg
    Cropped and expanded

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great work, Ed. I got some video last night of Jupiter as the GRS and Ganymede were transiting that awaits some stacking, though I'm even more enamoured with the live capture itself (l love real-time motion)! Thanks for posting your notes as well; very helpful. One of these days (when I get more space) I'm considering a Dob. I hear the views are amazing!

Cheers,
    Reggie

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

For about ten years I used a 6" f/8 Dob, and then bought the AT72ED shortly after they became available. I sold the 6" Dob about a year ago. Wanting the most aperture I could comfortably handle, I bought the 10" Skywatcher Dob as an early retirement gift from me to me. Funny, I haven't fully retired yet, but that's another story.

The most impressive differences were on globular clusters, which were noticeably brighter and I could go deeper, and the detail on Mars. I can also see way more stars in open clusters, and the Ring Nebula is now a direct vision object, as opposed to averted vision with the smaller scopes. Even the Orion Nebula showed noticeably more structure, and my younger daughter also noticed it. This in my light polluted back yard. Life being what it is, I haven't had an opportunity to go to Everglades National Park to use the Dob in dark skies.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.