Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

minimum size to see surface details on Mars.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Jun 5, 2018.

minimum size to see surface details on Mars.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jun 5, 2018 at 12:25 PM

51 Replies 6131 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

The B52's rock!

This is my favourite:

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

This is always fun!

3. Mak the Night

Yeah, I like Devo.

4. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the little POS. Grrrr. I had a choice between that and the Celestron 130SLT, which was (and is) actually a decent scope. I chose poorly.

5. Dave In Vermont

That's a Bird-Jones reflector - obviously by the super-short tube and the 1000mm F.L.

They put that POS on an expensive computerized mount?? Geeze! What were they thinking! Numbskulls...

A Typical Amerikan.jpg
    "Look at the Black Hole, dear!"

6. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

I bought the scope about a dozen years ago as my first foray back into the hobby since leaving it in my teens in the early 80s. (Well, I sold off my 8" Meade for beer money in college, actually.) I had no idea of the existence of these POS Bird-Jones scopes and got completely snookered. I've devoted and dedicated the rest of my life to alert and inform others about these insults to astronomy.

You know, right after me and OJ look for the "real killers" on this golf course. Fore!

7. Mak the Night

Yeah, you wouldn't have expected a Meade scope to be that bad. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time to someone at Ningbo Sunny's marketing department. They say hindsight is 20/20 lol. I've bought a few turkeys in my time.

IMG_20160409_154420.jpg

Turkey #No.1 ~

This is an 'Omegon' 90mm Maksutov. They're also marketed as the Kasai Pico. I wanted a small Maksutov that could be mounted on a tabletop Dob or a Vixen style mount as a grab'n'go. It was this or the Orion SkyMax. I already had a Synta (Sky-Watcher) 102mm Mak so I knew Synta Mak's were good. The Orion and the Omegon were roughly the same price. The Omegon is f/11 so that swung it for me as I thought it might make it more flexible.

mak dob (2).jpg

Unlike Synta Mak's the Omegon seems to be manufactured predominantly out of Bakelite lol. The Dob base was difficult to use and the entire ensemble didn't really impress me build wise. Worse still, the Omegon Mak won't produce a sharp image above about 25x. I'm not the only person to notice this either.

IMG_20160402_162543.jpg

On the bright side, this bag that came with it came in really useful for carrying this below ...

IMG_20180228_161801.jpg

... the Orion StarMax I should have bought in the first place. I've had a sharp 208x on the Moon with this little Orion scope. Live and learn right? lol

8. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Welllll . . . that ain't quite so.

All of the major astro vendors sell these crappy Bird-Jones scopes, with one important exception. It wasn't as if the scope I bought from Meade was a one-off from their marketing department; they continue to sell these B-Js today to anyone driving by in their passenger seats. (heh heh)

I've got a list over at my blog (scroll just past 1/3 of the way down):

https://jgroub.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/june-27-2016-spring-doldrums-stock-wisdom-and-sage-advice/

As I stated there, the one major exception is Orion. (Skywatcher doesn't sell scopes in this size range, so they don't really count.) Kudos to them for taking a stand against them, although I don't like Orion for other reasons.

But we are waaaaay off topic at this point. As we've already discussed, I know there aren't any fascist moderators here, but we should at least try to talk about what the OP intended. Back to Mars!

Nebula likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

I doubt I'd buy a Bird-Jones, and I've never owned one. A lot of people really dislike them though.

(Skywatcher doesn't sell scopes in this size range, so they don't really count.)

130mm?

EQ5 in situ (3).jpg

Back to Mars! Opposition in 47 days and counting ...

Nebula likes this.
  10. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Oops! I suppose that's the Skywatcher 130M in your signature? I'll add it to the list.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

11. Mak the Night

Yeah, Sky-Watcher/Synta do a few of these, mine's the slightly unfashionable f/6.9 version. Although, for me, it's been largely replaced by a 150mm f/6 TS Optics (GSO) Newtonian.

I believe the Sky-Watcher 130mm 'Explorer' is also marketed by Orion, and I'm pretty sure this 'Omegon' is the same telescope.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-telescope-n-130-920-eq-2/p,13762

om.jpg

Although TS Optics round it down to a 900mm focal length.

ts.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot, Mars. I've seen Mars with my version of this scope, does that count? lol

I seriously needed filters, but I could see recognisable surface areas. Baader Neodymium, naturally helped, but the #11 Yellow Green revealed as much. I can't recommend the #11 enough. I've just been using it on Jupiter to great effect. It's de rigueur on Saturn.

Mars Opposition ~ 46 days ...

12. Dave In Vermont

Hey Gabby! I got something for you.

As a fellow 'Filter-Nut,' I've been busy finding more info on the FL-D Photo-Filters. I'm down to following all leads. Found this little piece while looking around CloudyNights/RowdyFights about the TeleVue® Mars Filter (long gone):

FL-D 49mm Photography Filter.pdf

There's a lot of historical-data in such a small piece.

Enjoy!

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018