Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion New eyepiece, more for less

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Leonard, Feb 9, 2019.

New eyepiece, more for less

Started by Leonard on Feb 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM

11 Replies 186 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Member

Hi:

I just received an eyepiece I purchased from a company on eBay; a Meade 26mm, series 4000 QX, 2”eyepiece. I got a real good deal, about 1/4 of the original cost. The eyepiece looks new.

I have purchased a lot of eyepieces off eBay. In fact, I enjoy the search. I am either looking for a specific eyepiece to complete an eyepiece line, or I’m just breezing through checking out what’s for sell.

I have a lot of eyepieces, most of them are good, solid oculars. I have purchased top of the line plossls, such as TeleVue plossl, Meade series 4000 and 5000 Super Plossl.

I have also bought several Kellners: a 4mm, 10mm and a 25mm. Also, a 20mm Huygens and once, an SR4. These were purchased to compare with Plossls and other more advanced configurations. The trick with thus group is finding those that are well made.

I purchased several “wide view” eyepieces: Meade QX, Antares 72 degrees, and on. I normally purchase economically priced wide views as most of my scopes are slow, F6 and lower. Thus, they provide me with satisfying views.

There are several lines of eyepiece I have tried to complete like Orion Sirius plossl and Meade series 4000. The QX EP I purchased brings me closer to completing that line.

Considering my time for serious observing, I have bought some top level plossls and an Ortho. These do a very good job since my main targets are planets and brighter DSOs.

I like a lot of good quality EPs rather then a few very good and very expensive EPs.

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I hope the new eyepiece works well for you :)

3. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

I have slowly replaced all my EPs.
    The only plossl I have in use is a TV 11mm. ( I do have all the one that came with scopes in a box somewhere)

4. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

The TeleVue 11mm plossl is a good eyepiece for bringing out the handing on Jupiter and Saturn.

5. Leonard

Leonard Member

Yes. The 11mm TV is a good EP. It does a splendid job on planets when used with a long focal length scope. But it also does a good job on DSOs. It’s a versatile EP.

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

The trouble with collecting sets is that you can't stop lol.

tvs.jpg

7. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

Pan 35
    ES 68* 28mm
    ES 68* 24mm
    ES 68* 20mm
    Delos 17.3mm
    Delos 14mm
    ES 82* 11mm
    ES 82* 8.8
    Meade 82* 5.5mm
    That's the main lineup.
    6 and 15 Expanse
    Agena Starguider 18mm
    TV 11mm Plossl
    The others

8. Leonard

Leonard Member

I enjoy collecting Eyepiece lines. Especially old discontinued lines.

I’m trying to get a 20mm Meade Series 5000. Not the newer HD version. I like the older plossl version that came out about 2003. I have the 5.5, the 9, the 14, and the 26mm. I always like those EPs. Billed as a plossl they are a actually a 5 Lens EP (except the 5.5. It’s a 6 lens EP. The twist up eyecup is a nice touch which helps in excess eyerelief. The 20 degree Eyerelief plus the 60 FOV work well together. You get the full FOv. Often, with tight eyerelief it’s possible to see the entire FIV. They have computer cut lens with 7 layers of full multi coating.

For me, They perform much better than their original cost of about $90 each.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019 at 12:52 PM
  9. Leonard

Leonard Member

I like to collect different eyepiece lines. For instance, I have the entire line of the Meade series 4000 plossls except the 32mn and above. I have a vintage GTO 32mm from Hands on Optics and don’t want to duplicate the 32.

I also have most of the Orion Sirius plossl line, again except for the 32mn and above.

I collected the both of them because I really like both lines and they are not expensive.

I have the Meade Series 5000 plossls from 5.5mm to 26 missing the 20. They are discontinued and more difficult to find.

I like the plossl configuration. Though there are several different type of lens setups, almost all work very well with slow scopes that have a. focal ratios of 6 or above. Most of my scopes are in that category. As most of my targets are planets and brighter DSOs.

10. Mak the Night

I'm pretty sure the Orion Sirius Plossls are sourced from Barsta (BST) like Celestron and Sky-Watcher.

11. Leonard

Leonard Member

Yep, ur prob right.

12. Mak the Night

I used to have a link to the Barsta site. It seems to have been replaced with something written in Chinese. I'm really going to have to learn Mandarin lol.