Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

pocket Borg sky test.

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by kevan hubbard, Jun 18, 2017.

pocket Borg sky test.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jun 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM

6 Replies 1980 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I got out with my 25 mm pocket Borg last night to see just what it'll show.armed with a 15mm Altair eye piece (gives about 11,5 x in the Borg) and a celestron 9mm(20x).due to the long daylight I had to wait until about 23hr before the skies became dark enough. I had the Borg mounted on a cheap camera tripod and due to no wind and the scopes light weight it works well.the rings of Saturn where just visible at 11,5x and easy at 20x.Sagittarius and Scorpius where prominent and I got a load of m objects there.here's my list:!m4,m80,m24, m22,m8,m18,m21,m20,m26,m28,m23,m11,m5,m10,m12.due to the focal length causing star diagonal problems I had to unmount it for the canopy and use it as a monocular, to that end I bagged m29,m39,m13 and m27.not bad going for a 25mm objective with no real astronomical darkness in June?

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

You've definetly piqued my curiosity about this Borg!

I hear a cash-register calling out for me.....

Curses!

Dave :p

3. kevan hubbard

You'll find it pretty good for the small aperture. It's amazing how many objects a 25 mm will pick out.it has the advantage over a 25mm monocular in that you can change the eyepieces. On the dso's I mainly used the 15mm on planets the 9mm.you don't really need a finder as the field of view is wide on the 15mm and you can centre the objects in that then change to the 9mm,although I might try and fit a look through 1x finder by glueing one on.

4. Dave In Vermont

Would you have a link to this critter handy? I can't find such, but other Borg entries here and there. Borg makes some very nice items. I have seen some of their offerings, and was quite impressed!

Seems 'downsizing' has been gaining in popularity these days. The antithesis of 'aperture-fever,' whatever this can be called. Didn't Galileo use a 25mm/1-inch scope or around there?

Thank you for the ideas -

Dave - in the clouds at present.

5. kevan hubbard

Google pocket Borg telescope and it comes up with a review of it.it's made in Japan and sold there as the pencil Borg so I'll I can say is that they must have big pencils in Japan! The review claims that it does do deep sky but I suspected otherwise based on things I'd seen using a high quality 25mm monocular and sure enough I ended up seeing about 20 dso's even in June when it never gets truly dark.it'll be interesting to see if it'll pull out m1 later in the year I can never be certain of seeing that one in the 25mm monocular but think it is just visible in my 42mm monocular it's visible and m57 the ring nebula replaces m1 as the I think I can see it object.

6. Dave In Vermont

7. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Do you use any kind of mount with this Borg?