Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Space launch plans tour the UK

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Mak the Night, Nov 22, 2017.

Space launch plans tour the UK

Started by Mak the Night on Nov 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM

29 Replies 2920 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Did you mention Guy Fawkes? I have a stack of these to scare people with.....

We Are Legion.jpg

3. Dave In Vermont

I got the set of 3 - 4mm, 9mm, 25mm - for $12.99. Used my credit-card they hate so much. It ended up costing me $0.00. :D

That's why they hate it!

4. Mak the Night

Could be, I've not seen a jpeg of him. I think I'm actually descended from someone in the plot. Some of the conspirators were relatively local to me.

5. Mak the Night

As I suspected, it's an inexpensive plastic bodied Kellner.

SvBony 25mm Kellner (1).jpg

The smooth drawtube is chromed brass though with a decent thread and the bayonet fitted eyeguard folds down. SvBony 25mm Kellner (2).jpg

The housing is a substantial plastic resin, unlike the lighter plastic of the Aspherics or the 25mm Sky-Watcher MA.

SvBony 25mm Kellner (3).jpg

The baffling seems fine although originally I'd have preferred a bigger field stop. The Sky-Watcher MA has a slightly bigger stop of about 22mm.

SvBony 25mm Kellner (4).jpg

The smaller field stop works perfectly with this 0.5x reducer though. The MA and every 25mm and 26mm Plossl I tried vignetted badly. The image with and without the reducer seemed bright and crisp in daylight trials with the 102mm and 90mm Synta Mak's. With the reducer I couldn't see the obstruction in daylight testing in the Synta or the Omegon Mak's. This gave me a 25x magnification with a 3.6mm exit pupil with the StarMax. It will give me a 3.9mm exit pupil on the 102mm SkyMax for 26x. Inevitably giving one arc degree, fifty five minutes and twenty three seconds of TFOV on the 102mm Mak.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. Dave In Vermont

My avatar is a Guy Fawkes mask. Ever see the film 'V' - Vendetta? These are the same mask he wore in the film.

I take it your Kellner's have arrived? Good! And they come with genuine plastic-cases! Oh-Boy! Don't be fooled by imitation plastic-cases! 3 EP's for 12.99? :eek: :D :D

I'll even go so far as to guess they work, too. I expect about the same quality as I got in 1972. But that 9mm cost me $15.95 then - plus shipping and tax in Massachusetts - 5%. So these are likely made by slave-labor in some concentration-camp in the DPRK! :eek: Did you check yours for any secret-notes begging to be rescued? :eek: Maybe I'll write some myself and start an international-incident for fun!

3.jpg

14.jpg

11.jpg

Such jolly people!

7. Mak the Night

I haven't seen the movie Dave. I don't need to, every November the fifth there is a giant fireworks display everywhere. It's not conducive to astronomy. :mad:

I certainly don't want to see a movie about it. Unless it entails strapping Fawkes to an Ariane 5 and firing him at Mars!

MaxthonSnap20171124163216.jpg

I only have the 25mm Kellner. I'm pretty certain it's Chinese lol.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  8. Dave In Vermont

Oh Mak! You're such a 'Party-Pooper!'

Actually, in the end of the film, V - in his Guy Fawkes mask - is strapped to a train in the London Underground and fired off down the Tube under Parliament and blown-to-bits in a huge fireworks' display.

Would that do you? :D

I'd rather think so.....

Raul - and his Zippo-Lighter

9. Mak the Night

this.jpg

Actually, this makes a lot of sense, and explains the lack of vignetting with the reducer.

Which also explains the similar lack of vignetting in a 25mm AH orthoscopic and a reducer.

This gives me about 1°, 44“ TFOV with the Kellner and 1°, 37" with the ortho'.

Either way, I still get a 3.9mm exit pupil on a Mak!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. Mak the Night

SPOILER ALERT! lol