Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

The Moon - March 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Mar 10, 2017.

The Moon - March 10, 2017

Started by Ed D on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:27 PM

1 Replies 818 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Recently on Cloudy Nights there was a discussion in the Reflector forum about imaging planets with an undriven Dob. The OP described his technique of letting the planet drift through the field, stop the capture and reset the scope, and then restart the capture, repeating this several times.

Well, I wanted to try this but didn't have the time or energy to set up the 10" Dob. Instead, I used my AT72ED on the Twilight I Alt-Az mount. I used a GSO 2x Barlow on the camera to get a good size image. I took approximately 5,000 frames and processed them with Registax 6.

Not only did the image come out sharp and detailed, but I particularly like the Tycho crater ray at 2:00 o'clock. Can't wait to try my 10" Dob on Jupiter.

Ed D

2017 3-10 AT72ED Alt-Az Mount.jpg

Orion25 and Zigarro like this.
  2. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Wow! Spectacular contrast & detail. I'm never likely to own a decent APO but I hope to acquire a 10" Dob in the coming months and I'd like to at least see the moon this way, if not capture an image! Good work Ed!