A. Introducing Baader Diamond Steeltrack Premium Focusers
In recent years, the Crayford style of ball-bearing guided focuser has become popular due to its smooth motions, absence of pinion backlash, and rigid drawtube support. Baader's new Diamond Steeltrack Premium Focusers incorporate a number of innovative features that further enhance the smoothness and robustness of the Crayford focuser.
Baader's innovative diamond-geared drive system delivers the smooth totally backlash-free action of a friction drive with the positive non-slip high load capacity of a rack and pinion. Additional improvements in the bearing-guide system help to take the Baader Diamond Steeltracks (BDS) far enough beyond all other crayford-type focusers that some have called them 'Baaderford'.
B. 2" SCT Diamond Steeltrack Focuser: Baader part # BDS-SC or 2957220
The Baader 2" SC Diamond Steeltrack Focuser enables Schmidt Cassegrains to deliver ultra-smooth focusing with zero image shift.
- Fits Schmidt Cassegrains from 5" to 14" aperture.
- The included adapters fit both the SCT 2" thread used on 8" and smaller Meade/Celestron telescopes, and the 3.28" thread used on larger Celestron SCTs. This focuser should also fit most 12" and 14" Meade SCTs, although this cannot be guaranteed as Meade uses a slightly smaller 3.25" diameter thread on these larger telescopes.
- 30mm (1.18") focus travel.
- Fully baffled and blackened drawtube kills off-axis stray light.
- Optional low-profile (1mm) 2"/1.25" Pushfix reducer adapter.
- Overall Minimum Length of 90mm
- Overall Maximum Width (excluding focus knobs) of 96mm.
- Weighs 2lb-2.1oz (966g) in 2" SCT mode and 2lb-5.3oz (1057g) in 3.25"/3.28" SCT mode.
C. General Specifications for all Baader Diamond Steeltracks
Baader Diamond Steeltrack (BDS) Focusers have the following specifications:
- True diamonds form a micro-geared high precision drive system never accomplished before.
- In comparison to conventional crayford or rack & pinion drives, this micro-geared movement has zero backlash, zero cogging, and zero flexure.
- Diamond Steeltrack 2" focusers lift a payload of 6kg (13 lbs) straight up, without slipping, without excessive bearing preload (bearing preload can be increased further if necessary).
- Bearing system utilizes unbreakable instrument grade roller-bearings instead of simpler ball bearings - handles higher loads with greater rigidity and accuracy. No Teflon-pads anywhere.
- 1:11 stainless steel fine-focus mechanism, ready for attachment of the optional Steeldrive temperature-compensating motor drive system. The brass reduction gear is prepared to accept the timing belt of the Steeldrive motor-drive unit. The outer case of all Diamond Steeltracks have a dovetail cut into the driving-axis housing to accommodate the motor block of the Steeldrive unit.
- Detachable drive block assembly is reversible for right hand or left hand fine-focus operation and for attaching the Steeldrive motorblock onto Diamond-NT-Steeltracks for newtonian telescopes.
- Shortest possible mechanical design achieves optimum balance between focuser height (backfocus) and rigidity requirements.
- Zero shift locking knob to precisely stop any movement without affecting optical axis adjustment.
- Each bearing individually adjustable for precise alignment of mechanical vs. optical axis.
- Ultra-hard subzero coated bearing races – precision milled and much harder than anodizing or stainless steel.
- Oversized 55mm inner clear diameter, to prevent vignetting, with anti-reflection knife-edge baffles.
- S58 Dovetail ring-clamp built into focusing tube for accepting optional T-2 / M48 / M68 and other S58 direct-thread adapters to enable direct thread connection of accessories and cameras without 2" clamp.
- 2" eyepiece clamp with hardened bronze clamp ring (length of clamp: 12.5mm (0.5") included as standard.
- Optionally available: 2" Baader Clicklock-clamp with integrated S58 dovetail (added length: 16mm (5/8")).
|Focuser Telescope Type||SCT|