1. Meet Stella
Meade's Stella adapter allows you to wirelessly control your telescope. Control your telescope at a distance without having to worry about your handbox cord length. Creating its own Wi-Fi network or joining other Wi-Fi networks, the Stella adapter communicates and aids in controlling your scope to making observing a breeze!
When paired with Meade's Android and iOS app, StellaAccess (sold separately), you now have a graphical interface for navigating the night sky. With this new adapter, gone are the days of handbox limitations; now you have a full featured planetarium at your fingertips that works in conjunction with your telescope!
Designed for Meade computer-controlled GoTo telescopes, Stella uses the Wi-Fi capabilities built into your iOS or Android device to point your telescope in the sky.
Many people get lost in the sea of stars, unsure of where to look. Now with Stella and StellaAccess, you can leave your woes behind and explore the skies with ease. See a deep-sky object on StellaAccess that you want to view? With a push of a button, your telescope will point to it. Stella gives you control of your telescope at a distance; keep the handbox at your telescope, and find celestial objects wirelessly.
2. Does Stella require internet access to work?
Don’t worry, you don’t need internet for Stella to work properly! Unlike Bluetooth, Stella requires no pairing and no special drivers. Supporting a DHCP server or client, Stella can enable your telescope to be remotely controlled.
All you need is a Wi-Fi enabled device like an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Android device.
3. How does Stella work?
Stella creates its own 802.11 wireless network. By default, this is an open wireless network called "Stella", but you can rename and secure it as you wish.
You join this network from any of your qualified devices and just like that... you're ready to use Stella! As long as your device gets its IP address by DHCP, no additional network configuration is required.
4. Battery Life
Stella uses a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. It has a typical battery life of 4-8 hours under continuous use and offers a "power-saving mode" to aid in increased battery life. Stella can also be powered from an external source, like USB ports or wall socket. Cables for both AC power (120V, 60Hz) and USB to micro-USB are included.
5. Stella Apps, Software and Firmware
To complete your Stella experience, you'll download and purchase Meade's telescope control application, StellaAccess, onto your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch or Android device. The Stella Wi-Fi adapter works seamlessly with StellaAccess app as well as the SkySafari software. Firmware is upgradable via computer. Note: You'll need the mobile application, StellaAccess to use the Wi-Fi adapter.
6. Does the mobile app, StellaAccess, come free with Stella?
No, purchasing Stella Wi-Fi adapter does not include the mobile application, StellaAccess. StellaAccess is available for purchase for $14.99 from the Google Play Store or Apple iTunes Store.
7. Connecting Stella to Your Telescope
Connect Stella to your telescope requires additional cables (cables sold separately).
- For Meade AutoStar and AudioStar equpped telescopes, use the Meade #505 Cable set. Connect the 4-pin cable side to the bottom of the hand box and 9-pin serial side to Stella.
- For AutoStar II equipped telescopes, use the Meade #507 cable set. Connct the 6-pin cable side to the RS232 port on the telescope control panel, and 9-pin serial side to Stella.
- AutoStar III telescopes, such as the Lightswitch (LS) telescope, will require a USB A/B cable to connect to the telescope mount. Connect the USB-B side to the LS control panel, and the USB-A side to Stella.
For non-Meade telescopes, consult with your telescope manfacturer for sleecting the proper cabling.
8. Compatible Meade Telescopes
Stella can wirelessly enable almost any telescope with a standard USB or RS-232 serial interface. Meade telescope models that have been tested and are known to work with Stella include:
- Meade LX200 Classic and GPS
- Meade LX400 ACF
- Meade LX600 / 850
- Meade LS / LT
- Meade ETX (when equipped with #497 or AudioStar Controller)
- Meade LXD 55 / 75 / 650 / 750
- Meade LX 80 / 90
- Meade Magellan I
- Meade Magellan II
Some Meade ETX models (60/80) ship with the Autostar #494 controller. To make Stella work with these scopes, you need to replace the #494 Autostar controller (which does not have a serial port) with the AudioStar controller (which does).
9. Other Compatible Telescopes*
* Please note that due to continuous firmware updates by individual manufacturers, Meade cannot guarantee compatibility with non-Meade telescopes.
- Celestron NexStar 5i / 8i / GPS / SLT / SE / Advanced GT
- Celestron AVX / CGE / CGEM / CPC series
- SkyWatcher SynScan
- Orion Sirius / Atlas / SkyView Pro / SkyQuest XTg / StarSeeker / HDX
- iOptron SmartStar / MiniTower
- iOptron iEQ45 with 8406 controller
- iOptron 8407 / 8408 contollers
- Astro-Physics GTO
- Losmandy Gemini
- Vixen SkySensor 2000
- Vixen StarBook / Sphinx
- Sky Commander
- Losmandy DSC
- StellarCAT ServoCAT
- Starmaster Sky Tracker
- SiTech Controller
- Takahashi Temma 2
- Bisque Paramount + TheSkyX
- Tangent Instruments BBox Encoder System (and compatible)
- Celestron AstroMaster
- JMI NGC Max
- Lumicon Sky Vector
- Orion Sky Wizard / IntelliScope
- Takahashi Super Navigator
To use StellaAccess as a telescope controller, your telescope must be connected to the Stella Wi-Fi adapter and your mobile device must be connected to the Stella Wi-Fi network.
Your telescope must complete any necessary alignment procedures before connecting to StellaAccess. Reference your telescope manual for detains on your scope’s alignment process. Before tapping the "Connect" button, review the "Settings" page to ensure you have the correct settings. Under "Telescope", choose "Setup" and be sure you have the following settings:
- Select the telescope in use under Scope Type
- Select the mount in use under Mount Type
- Stella Name set to "Stella" or "10.0.0.1"
- Port Number set to "4030"
Once you have the correct settings in place, you are now ready to connect to your telescope. StellaAccess remembers the telescope’s alignment until you quit the app, so you should not have to realign if you disconnect (or are accidently disconnected). Once connected, you can control your telescope with the directional arrows, or use the GoTo feature to point at a selected object.
You can re-align the scope and the software anytime there is a discrepancy between the two with the "Align" feature. This synchronizes the scope to coordinates of the selected object. The bullseye indicated in the sky chart shows where the telescope thinks it is pointing. If that appears incorrect, the scope and the software must be aligned.
To do so:
- Physically center the scope on a real object in the sky.
- Select that object in the sky chart to make it the current target object.
- Tap the Align button.
When you are finished with your session, tap "Disconnect" to end your telescope control session.
11. Technical Specifications
- Battery Lifetime: 4-8 Hours
- Battery Type: Lithium
- Contents Included: Stella Wi-Fi Adapter, AC Adapter, USB to micro-USB cable, Instruction sheet
- Not included: Cable to connect Stella to your telescope; StellaAccess app
- Features: Wireless telescope control. Compatible with StellaAccess planetarium app. Controls all Meade telescopes with Audiostar, Autostar, Autostar II, Autostar III.
- Product Dimensions: 3.0" x 4.4" x 1" (77mm x 112mm 25mm)
- Product Weight: 0.26 lbs 0.12 kg
Product carries full one year Meade factory limited warranty (within US/Canada only).